Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day



According to my dad, this was his favorite Father's Day ever. According to Rachel Ray, the meal I intended to make could be done in 30 minutes. One of them is lying...

If my sister and I had known all along that all it took to make Dad happy was to wake up at seven and surf with him, we probably could have saved ourselves some money over the years, not to mention spared my dad some pretty lame presents. I had also previously promised earlier in the week that I would undertake the making of the Father's Day meal. Normally reserved for my mom and Grandma Vi's Beef Stroganoff recipe, I thought it was time I took a little domestic initiative. I've been reading a lot of foodie blogs lately, and I thought to myself "Why not?". So after a fun, full family surf session(yay for warm water finally!), my dad and I ventured to the market to collect all the ingredients that I needed for this supposed 30 minute meal. Note to all the readers(and when I say "all", I mean all five of you), if Rachel Ray makes something in 30 minutes, a beginner should add two hours. But, alas, it is the journey. And oh what a journey it is to make Spinach and Mushroom Stuffed Chicken in a Mushroom Sauce! Especially if you decide to add Sundried tomatoes and Sauteed Artichoke Hearts into the mix as well...

Nevertheless, with a little help chopping and stirring from Mom, I managed to complete my first attempt at cooking for a large audience. Even, dare I say, with some degree of success and deliciousity(so not a word!).

But the thing is, I didn't make this meal to prove to anyone that I could be some gourmet chef, I made it because I love my dad and I love my family. And like I've said earlier, sometimes one of the best ways to show that love is to make something. Because, in the end, it is not the things we say or the cards we write or the amazing gifts we buy that show people that we care. Sometimes, it is the acts we do that prove that we are unequivocally devoted, that we are willing to sacrifice precious summer hours to labor in a kitchen for them.

And the payoff is great. It was so fulfilling to sit around a table filled with people I love(Mom, Dad, Molly, George, Puppa, and Jade) and watch them eat something that I loved making for them. From my beautiful older sister who still tries to get me to hold hands and tandem surf with her to Puppa who was just happy to sit and drink a couple Pacificos(Courtesy of Jade!), there was joy all around. Although this summer has been a somewhat tumultuous one, it has still been filled with incredible joy at times. As a family we have learned to accept the bumps as they come and savor the tiny moments when we are all together and laughing. There is no such thing as a 30 minute meal in life, everything good takes time, effort, and the occasional spill. Unless you are Rachel of course! Ciao Bellas!

1 comment: